Our final installment of the ‘Weekend in Austin’ series is for the culture junkie who visits every museum in a city, loves exploring little-known places and is constantly snapping artsy pics of her adventures. Do you Live in Color? We’ve picked out some must-see’s for you while you’re in Austin for the Sample Sale.
1. Consuela Couture | 11 a.m.
You’re in luck – the Consuela Couture collection is part of the Sample Sale and all the bags are named after fabulous travel destinations. Get one for each place you’ve visited! Then head next door to the flagship boutique and check out the latest collections.
2. Mangia e Bevi! | 1 p.m.
You’ll be tired after all that shopping but luckily Italian restaurant Quattro Gatti is right next door! Unwind with a glass of chilled white wine and a delicious pizza baked fresh in the wood-fired oven.
3. 1886 Chic | 2:30 p.m.
Head to your home for the evening at the Driskill, a historic hotel with an old-new-york-meets-wild-west feel. Admire the marble and chandeliers and take a look around their luxurious saloon — er, we mean bar.
4. Jonesing for Some Art | 3:30 p.m.
Walk a few blocks to The Jones Center to take in cutting edge modern art. The recently renovated museum boasts beautiful interiors as well as thought-provoking pieces.
5. Tequila Sunrise With a Chance of Dark and Stormy | 5:30 p.m.
Weather Up is just the spot to treat yourself after along day with a delicious drink! Sink into a quilted leather booth and get ready to people-watch some of Austin’s finest hipsters.
6. Dîner à Paris | 8 p.m.
Drive a little further east and you’ll find yourself transported to Paris for the night at Justine’s Brasserie. The bartenders spin vinyl while you enjoy escargot and steak au tartare on marble café tables under the sultry lighting.
7. A Hole in the Wall Called Hole in the Wall | 10 p.m.
Take a break from fancy pants Austin and get your ripped tees out for a night of dancing and Lone Stars at the Hole in the Wall. This bar and music venue has been around for forty years and is still one of the most fun and authentic places in Austin to catch a band, whether it’s bluegrass or head-banging rock.
8. Patio Perfection | 11:30 a.m.
Enjoy brunch on the patio at Elizabeth Street Café, one of Austin’s hottest restaurants. Start with a Vietnamese coffee and a croissant or try a breakfast bánh mì.
9. Digest | 2 p.m.
Austin’s brand new Lady Bird Lake Boardwalk is the perfect place to go for a stroll after a big brunch. Walk along the water and stop at the lookout points for breathtaking skyline views and great photo opps.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
- Consuela, 910 and 912 Congress Avenue; consuelastyle.com
- Quattro Gatti, 908 Congress Avenue; quattrogattiaustin.com
- Driskill Hotel, 604 Brazos Street; driskillhotel.com
- Jones Center, 700 Congress Avenue; thecontemporaryaustin.org
- Weather Up, 1808 East Cesar Chavez Street; weatherupnyc.com
- Justine’s Brasserie, 4710 East Fifth Street; justines1937.com
- Hole in the Wall, 2538 Guadalupe Street; holeinthewallaustin.com
- Elizabeth Street Café, 1501 South First Street; elizabethstreetcafe.com
- Lady Bird Lake Boardwalk, South Bank of the River between Congress Avenue and I-35; austintexas.gov/department/boardwalk-trail-lady-bird-lake
Don’t forget to RSVP to the Sample Sale on Facebook for up-to-date details!